Monday, January 13, 2014

Flashes of Lightning



What some people might think frightening, I find refreshing: the act of God making Himself known, visibly.
I experienced one of those indescribable moments of awe Friday evening, and I finally have the time to write and share.

On Friday evening, it was flooding rain, and I was driving home from work and trying to make it to an appointment at 5. Due to the rain and traffic, I was already running behind. Now, this is January in South Carolina. We don't normally see lightning in January, but as I was sitting at a traffic light on the phone (I use blue tooth thankfully) I saw a quick flash and thought to myself, no way. This is January! The light changed, and I got through the intersection and up the road, only to find that the next intersection where I needed to turn to get to my appointment was completely blocked by an accident. I said a quick prayer for those involved, and like all the other folks trying to turn left there, turned in to the little store and gas station, only to find that way blocked by about 10 cars with the same idea. By this time I was frustrated, and about 8 minutes late. There was nothing to do but put the car in reverse, back up all the way through the parking lot, and drive behind the building to go back and back down the road I just drove up and go around. It was about 8 miles out of my way to go that direction and I was NOT happy. And then, as I was coming up on the Subdivision I would have to use as a shortcut, it happened.

I listen to WMHK, a Christian radio station. At the time, Revelation Song was playing. This was the verse playing:

Clothed in rainbows, of living color                        
Flashes of lightning, rolls of thunder
Blessing and honor, strength and
Glory and power be
To You the Only Wise King,
Yeah 

At PRECISELY the moment of 'Flashes of lightning' in the song, the entire sky lit up. My jaw dropped. Had this been any other thunderstorm during the stormy season, I might not have thought anything of it, but the timing had to have been intentional. I can't begin to explain the Awe I felt at that moment. It was like God was yelling, "I am here! Stop worrying about the time!".

I finally did make it to my appointment. I was 20 minutes late, but they didn't care. The accident in the intersection still had the roads clogged and I expected to find another long wait when I turned back onto the road, but at that moment I turned, it was all clear, all the way up to the parking lot I needed. And then it backed up again. :)

I am one of those odd people who love a good thunderstorm. But this was not a thunderstorm..this was a rain storm with a few flashes of GOD. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment